Tuesday, August 6, 2013

What Guns to Buy for New Survivalists

I wish this was my set-up!

Setting out to purchase guns for your survival plan can be daunting. The list seems to be exponential and constantly growing, but I am here to give you some basic quick guidance. Before we look at my list, please understand guns have their place in a survivalist's plan, but I recommend you focus your initial purchases on clean water, shelter, and food. The list below is based on price, usability and necessity. This means guns with a higher possibility of use and lower price tag rank higher on my list.

1.  22 Gauge Rifle 

 A rifle like the Ruger 10/22 can be had for under $200 and ammo comes extremely cheap. The gun is versatile in that it can be used for self defense and hunting small game. Don't let anyone fool you, you can also snag yourself large game like deer and use it for self defense.

2. Handgun

The caliber of handgun you choose is your preference. The .40 and .45 tend to be popular choices but don't rule out a 9mm. I only rank a handgun above a shotgun if you live in a State with Concealed Carry laws. Shotguns are great, but you can't wander very far around town with one in your pants. If you can get a CCW permit in your State, get it.   

3. 12 Gauge Shotgun

Purchasing a shotgun accomplishes home security and hunting in one purchase. Ammo again is fairly affordable and the sound of a shotgun is a universal "you better get out of here" sound. Buy different shots (bird, small game, buck, slug) when storing ammo so you have multiple uses for this weapon.

4. High-powered Hunting Rifle

.270, 30-06, .338, etc. The beauty of hunting rifles for larger game is they can also be used for self defense WTSHTF. I have these ranked next to last because I am assuming you aren't an avid hunter and this gun will see very little use. Otherwise, you wouldn't be reading this post. However, if you plan on hunting then move it on up the priority list and get out there. Don't forget to send me some jerky.

5. Tactical Rifle

This list can include an AR-Variant, AK-Variant, SKS, etc. I list tactical rifles last because I believe they are more for show and fun. Yes, I would prefer to have one if SHTF, but the cost (>$1000) is a little too high when you factor other necessary gear you could buy with this money. Tactical rifles have tons of optional gear (sights, optics, lasers, lights) which can run you another $500+, and this is before you even began buying ammo. Unless you're one of the few swimming in money, I suggest you hold off on this purchase until your other survival supplies are overflowing. - By the way, I guarantee I am the only author suggesting this.


This list is only a recommendation based on price and necessity. Everyone has a differing opinion when it comes to guns and I look forward to hearing yours in the comments below. In the end, don't let anyone tell you what gun to buy, it is your final decision.

Keep on prepping!


Image source - http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Guns_1000.jpg

   

No comments:

Post a Comment